What do the Youth Team do?
We work to support young people aged 12-18 years in the North West corridor of Brisbane. Our services are targeted specifically at young people who are at risk of:
• disconnection from their family/community/support networks
• disengagement from school, training and/or employment
• harm, including self-harm
We focus on 4 key results, which are to help young people:
• connect to positive family support
• get a job or engage in training or education
• lead a healthy and violence-free life
• have a safe, stable place to live.
We address the needs of vulnerable young people using a variety of support strategies including 1:1 support; group work practices, early intervention and prevention targeted support.
Our service is funded by Queensland Government’s Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women (DCSYW). Some guiding principles include:-
• Young-person centred but family focused.
• We believe in building a strong trusting relationship based on mutual respect and confidentiality (this means that the young person is our primary focus and we will respect confidentiality unless we believe the young person to be at risk of harm) whilst still encouraging connection to family or other support persons.
• Youth support is delivered without discrimination to all young people regardless of gender, sexuality, relationship status, ability or behaviour. Youth support workers respect the diversity of young people including their values, beliefs and experiences
Our catchment area is the North West corridor which includes suburbs of:-
However, if a Young Person is connected to a school in our area, and we have capacity, we may be able to help.
For more information about any of programs, please contact Jane McDonald, Youth Worker on 3354 2555 or email@example.com